Missed my earlier posts? Don't worry, you can catch up by clicking the button below.

A bombed birding trip

Last Sunday, I set off early morning on a much anticipated birding trip to Ragihalli forest. It was the first time I was visiting this forest, and I was so hopeful of finding a lot of birds thanks to the many online reviews of the place. As luck would have it, the trip didn't go as expected and I decided to salvage the bombed trip with a wildlife safari at the nearby Bannerghatta National Park. 
Here's a photo tour... 





Barring a few stretches of broken road, the drive was smooth and scenic...


A green bee eater sitting on an electric wire aroused my interest...


The forest is part of the Ramakrishna Mission Ashram campus at Shivanahalli, which has a huge variety of trees said to be planted by Swamy Vishnuayananda. The forest was abuzz with chirping birds and I walk around excited to catch a glimpse of them...


Although I could hear a variety of bird calls, they were no where to be seen. After walking more than a mile, I finally saw a male Paradise Flycatcher. It was visible for just a few seconds before vanishing...


The Plumeria Rubra blooms made the walk less tiring...


Cashew apple...


And the true cashew fruits... 


I saw a Greater Coucal at a distance. The bird was so shy that it flew away within no time...



Still further away I could see four Crested Bulbuls...


I walked a few more miles without much luck...


The terrain goes up and down and my pedometer reading at the end of the day showed 38 floors climbed...


I was thinking how much of a disastrous birding trip this turned out to be.  I decided to salvage the bombed birding trip by going on a wildlife safari at Bannerghatta National Park, which is around 14 km from Ragihalli. 
The expression of the zebra definitely pepped my mood up... 






The white tiger cheered me up...


What lovely eyes and majestic look...



A tiger on the prowl...



This one enjoying water in the hot weather...



  A roar. Look at those teeth...


 Scary...



 A monkey picking lice...






A spot-billed pelican...










A relaxing tiger...



A leopard...



A littke monkey doing what it does best...













At the end of the tiring day, I resolve to return to Ragihalli forest to capture those elusive birds...

Join me on Instagram

Like my Facebook page

31 comments:

  1. At least you managed some excellent shots. The zebra is priceless ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you went to the PArk. The photos area all BRILLIANT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post and Thanks for sharing beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I think you captured some awesome birds. They are very exotic to me. Love the wildlife safari, the cats are beautiful. The monkey are cute. Beautiful photos and post. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love your photography. Some different birds and views than I am used to seeing and I like that. I do like the "laughing" zebra. Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots in the park - I want a red plumeria. Mine is white with a yellow center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many wonderful photo, you capture wildlife so well

    ReplyDelete
  8. All Great captures! 📸 Love the leopard and the white tiger! #Mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking birds in that area,so colourful and interesting.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so awed by this post! Not only the incredible, unique birds, but the beauty of all your wildlife photos and scenic roads/trails! Wonderful!!!


    Thanks so much for linking in and sharing this with us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend. It's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing pictures. My personal favourite is your black and white one of the zebras. #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic series of images, they are all so good

    Mollyx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely to see you again sharing with Nature Notes Shiju! I am sorry that you didn't get to see as many birds as you would have liked on your hike, but the birds you did catch are new to my eyes and I appreciate knowing about them... Also the wild animals photos are great! ..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are amazing! You could make poster out of them!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  15. Astounding variety of photographs, beautifully captured. IMHO your trip was NOT a bomb!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/04/elvis-sighting-in-israel.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the excellent wildlife photos. The zebra is quite fun. And thanks for the photo of cashews. I never knew what they looked like on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the tiger, the leopard and the zebras are super cool! I love to see them in the wild. As always, your photos are superb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing nature photos! I have never such a bird as the paradise flycatcher! So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well your birding may have begun slow, but you got some nice shots and the rest of the animals in this post are all amazing~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your images are fantastic! The animals are positively awesome to see with their colors and expressions. Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry your birding trip didn't go as planned but I love the birds you did capture. Your certainly got a workout looking for birds!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed your cyber tour very much. Top notch photographs. 38 stories high you climbed....good work-out besides.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful captures, Shiju. It appears you had a rather successful birding outing after all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved the laughing zebra. :)
    What was the zoke?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing your stunning photography with us each week!
    Congrats - you're one of our featured guests at this week's Inspire Me Monday party at Create With Joy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What stunning photos! Especially the big cats! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and I truly value any feedback you have to offer. If you have a moment, please share your thoughts with me.
**If you opt to post a comment anonymously, kindly disclose your name to put my curiosity to rest.